Holy Name of Jesus Parish was not conceived by the construction of an architectual monument but came to birth from the faith of its people. The first Holy Mass in Sheboygan took place on August 24, 1845. Father Caspar Rehrl and ten Catholic families gathered around the dining room table of Alban Kent that served as the altar of prayer. The table is preserved in Holy Name Church sanctuary.
Austrian-born Father Michael Haider arrives in Sheboygan to fulfill his assignment to St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church. He quickly purchases the plot of land that would become the site of Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church for $2,200. With the parish’s finances exhausted, he’s given full access to the Pigeon River quarry by fellow Sheboyganite, business owner, and former Austrian acquaintance, Jacob Jung.
Construction of Holy Name begins. Over the next five years, limestone was hauled by horse-drawn wagon from the quarry two miles south to the site. While the original plan for the steeples was to have them reach 185 feet, the head carpenter warned against this due to the lakeside winds. Though shorter, their finished height of 170 feet still allowed sailors to use them as definitive landmarks of the port of Sheboygan.
Milwaukee Bishop, John Martin Henni, blesses the new parish under the patronage of Holy Name of Jesus in November. Parishioners start attending mass, kneeling on bare stone floors to pray.
The Stations of the Cross, donated by George Brickner of Sheboygan Falls, are installed.
1879 – The church’s first organ, built in Milwaukee by Odenbrett and Abler pipe organ manufactory, graces the interior.
Four massive bells, known as the Angelic Quartet and individually named, Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Guardian Angel, are installed. Weighing in at 9,000 pounds, the bells required thick, rough hemp ropes and great strength to make them toll.
After the passing of Father Michael Haider in 1884, Father Nicholas Thill installs new pews along with a new altar, pulpit, and efficient heating system.
Father Francis Murphy, a curate of St. Johns' Cathedral Parish, Milwaukee visited Sheboygan at the request of community Catholics to evaluate the need for an English-speaking parish.
St. Clement Parish organized and church construction begins. The design was Low Gothic, 130 ft. long, 54 ft. wide seating 500. On October 25, 1914, the cornerstone was laid and Father David J. O'hearn, St Francis Seminary, gave the sermon.
Church dedication ceremonies were held on May 30, 1915. Archbishop Messmer officiated. Bishop Muldoon, Rockford, IL gave the homily.
St. Clement School opens with Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa, WI.
St. Dominic Parish celebrates the first Mass and first Baptism.
St. Dominic Church dedication with charter membership of 150 families and school classes start with 97 students in grades 1-7. Twenty-six children celebrated the first First Communion class.
The iconic clocks are installed into the steeples of Holy Name church – a donation from Sheboygan local, John Kroeff. This would mark the first of several renovations throughout the history of the parish.
The first 8th grade class graduates from St. Dominic School: Clarence Damrow, Virona Altenbach, Fredrick Ploetz, Monica Godfrey, Victor Paeglow, Margaret Wagner, Roland Fetterer, Father Knackert and Marius Birkle. Sr. Mary Olga was the class teacher and school principal. Fifty-four young confirmands celebrate as the first confirmation class in the new St. Dominic Parish.
First portion of convent building erected with four rooms and a dormitory for seven Sisters.
St. Dominic Parish pipe organ installation.
Fr. Ignatius Staskunas is the first assistant pastor at St. Dominic.
Holy Name of Jesus celebrates its Centennial Anniversary.
Excavation begins for north wing of the St. Dominic convent building. It is to include a chapel, and 8 bedrooms, as well as two temporary classrooms, for 1st & 2nd grades.
New St. Clement School building opens.
Construction of a new school building at Holy Name of Jesus is completed.
300 pupils are enrolled in the St. Dominic Parish School, in grades 1-8, taught by 6 nuns and 1 lay teacher and Parish membership has grown to nearly 400 families.
St. Clement Parish celebrates its 50th anniversary at a Mass celebrated by Archbishop William Cousins.
Building of the new St. Dominic church commences. The architect is Lawrence Bray of Sheboygan.
New Altar facing congregation at St. Clement Church implements Vatican II changes.
With the Hispanic population growing in Sheboygan County, Sr. Mary Helen Neenan, a Sinsinawa Dominican, began ministering to the area Hispanic community in Sheboygan.
The first Spanish liturgy was celebrated in the St. Clement Convent Chapel.
Richard Mason and August Meyer are the first members of Holy Name of Jesus parish to be ordained transitional deacons.
St. Dominic Parish celebrates 50th Anniversary.
St. Clement Church bells were rung for the first time after being installed and dedicated.
Antonio Gamez becomes the first St. Clement member to be ordained a Permanent Deacon. In 1984, Baleriano Gonzalez was ordained.
St. Clement Parish School closes and later merges with Holy Name School. The school would be named Holy Family.
St. Clement Church lower level space renovated and named Dominican Hall.
St. Clement Parish begins restoration of stained-glass windows. Over the course of twelve years all ten windows were restored.
Holy Name of Jesus Parish celebrates its 150th anniversary.
Groundbreaking takes place for PAC construction and associated modifications to church and school. $2.3 million project.
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic School opens. The school resulted from the merger of St. Dominic School and Holy Family School.
Northside Catholic Faith Formation Program begins in St. Dominic school building.
On November 22nd, the Feast day of St. Clement, Archbishop Listecki presides at a Mass celebrating the Centennial anniversary of St. Clement Parish.
St. Dominic celebrates the 90th Anniversary with year-long activities.
Milwaukee Archdiocese approved the Sheboygan North Catholic Parishes. One Pastoral Council for North Sheboygan Catholic Parishes organized.